Monday, January 5, 2009

Kids and Video Games

I have always been a fan of playing video games. From Pong to the Atari 2600 to Dr J vs Larry Bird on an old Vic 20 I have played them all. The games today are lot more complex than the games of yesterday. This means improved graphics and game play so I am not complaining. Sports games (especially football) have really been my favorites. My son who is 6 has taken to playing the games now. I am absolutely amazed at how quickly he is able to pick them up and play them. There is no fear of messing them up it is just get on and go. I sat and watched him play over the break a few times. As a sat here I asked him a few times about what he was doing and why. I noticed he would run a play to the right and the next play he would flip it to go to the left. When I asked why he would switch it he told me “because there was more room to the other side now.” Whenever he uses a running play he always went to the wide side of the field. I have to be honest that I had forgotten how to switch the play so when he wanted play against me I was asking “how do you do this or how do you do that”. It had been a while since I played the games but didn’t think I would forget all the little tricks. He has picked up the how to play the games and now I am trying to teach him some of the strategies of the game. He still doesn’t like to punt and would “go for it” on every fourth down if I didn’t give him a hard time about it. I do think he is learning about things as he plays both about strategy but also about general problem solving. Still don’t think he is ready for Grand Theft Auto though…

No comments: